Educational and Psychological Consultation
Does your child struggle with grades or retaining material?
Do they seem frustrated or bored with school?
Are they making decent grades, but just seem unhappy?
A child’s educational experience has a lasting impact throughout their adult life. Whether a student has a learning disability or is struggling through emotional challenges, it is critical that schools understand each child’s needs and support them appropriately.
Unfortunately, with thousands of students and school staff being spread thin, it’s common for a child’s needs to fall through the cracks. The process for receiving additional services can feel daunting for parents, making it difficult to ensure their children are being provided a fair, effective, and nurturing educational environment.
At Variations Psychology, we are dedicated to helping children get the support they deserve to reach their academic potential. Our Educational Consulting services empower parents to become informed advocates for their child’s needs.
During your Educational Consulting experience, our Specialist will:
- Get to know you and your child
- Learn your concerns about your child’s academic experience
- Evaluate your child’s cognitive, emotional, and behavioral development
- Conduct any necessary diagnostic tests for issues that may impact their learning such as:
- Specific Learning Disabilities (Math, Reading, or Written Expression)
- Intellectual Disabilities
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Communication Disorders
- Visual or Hearing Impairments
- Depression or Anxiety
- Academic Giftedness
- Help you understand your child’s unique needs
- Create an educational plan to support your family’s goals
- Walk you through the process of seeking accommodations or special services including:
- Functional Behavior Assessment
- Response to Intervention
- Submitting accommodations request for the SAT or ACT
- Help you interpret evaluation findings conducted by the school
- Empower you to be an advocate for your child if the school is not meeting their need
What’s more, our Educational Specialist is available to visit your school with you to support you in understanding your child’s rights, advocating for their needs, and making informed choices about their academic future.
Meet our Educational Specialist, Dr. Marta M. Shinn
Dr. Marta M. Shinn, PhD is a specialist in child and educational psychology. She has a passion for helping children and families and has been providing educational consulting services for over 15 years. From diagnoses to in-school advocacy, Dr. Shinn’s expertise provides invaluable support every step of the way. Click here to learn more about Dr. Shinn
If you feel stressed, overwhelmed, or confused regarding your child’s academic needs, Dr. Shinn and the team at Variations Psychology would love to be your resource.
Interested in Educational Consulting? Connect with Us!
If you are interested in educational consulting or therapy services, please contact us. We would love to talk with you and discuss what therapy could look like for you.
More about Variations Psychology
Do you want to know more about us?
Take a look at our specialists page and learn more about what we do.
We are based in Newport Beach, California and love to connect with our community. We cannot wait to meet you.